Anonymous Research Initiative
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am Mew Serpent.

3 posters

Go down

I am Mew Serpent. Empty I am Mew Serpent.

Post by Mew Serpent Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:09 am

Hey guys.

I realize that I may seem to have come completely out of the blue to your fine site. I was invited here by ART, but I know you guys probably don't recognize me from anywhere. I posted a couple of times at WITP as afuriouspipedream. I'm aware of the meteoric rise and fall of the site, and some of the weird behind-the-scenes stuff that happened there, but I was never too deeply involved.

To be honest I joined WITP because I believed so deeply in the message, but I was turned off by all the politics of the site itself and the apparent backstabbing and secrets. It was all so counterproductive. But if nothing else, WITP brought people together who believed in something. And I still believe in that.

So, here I am. For many years I kept telling myself that I not only didn't care about politics, but that I just didn't have the stomach for them. But I got older, and I started realizing that I could ignore the things that were going on around me, but that didn't stop them from having an affect on me and my life. I worked for somewhere around six years working for a political and marketing research firm, where my job was basically cold-calling folks and asking them their opinion about stuff, which you can imagine wasn't a fun job. But it did make me really start caring about politics, policy, and the world a lot more. I began to realize that if I didn't take a stand for the things that I believe in, then there were people out there dead-set on making this world a shitty place for me to live, and I wasn't going to stand for it.

I don't work at that job anymore, and sometimes I regret quitting because I got a very rare, privileged look at the inside of America's head, and I was kept at the very top of every political movement and thought. I feel that since I left that job, I left that privilege too. But it was a shit job, I was way underemployed. But I got a look at people through a lens most people don't ever get to have. Admittedly it turned me from a cynic into a full-on misanthrope, but I guess that's another story for another day.

I've been involved with my local Occupy scene, I've attended at least one GA and plan to go back for more. I'm a full-time student so it's pretty difficult to make the time. I've been a "semi" activist for a long time, but since Occupy started around here I've been in marches and stuff, I switched from my bank to a local credit union. I protested the unfairness of the Iran elections a couple of years back, and I always have passionate things to say to add to any political argument or discussion, but I've been quiet as an activist until recently. I really deeply believe in the Occupy movement and I back pretty much everything it stands for: I quite honestly believe we can change the country, if not the world. I honestly see tremendous change to the very infrastructure of this country very soon, and I am ready if not a little scared. I'm ready for a brave new world. I don't think it's going to be "Mad Max" or anything, but I think we're all going to have to learn how to grow a garden and make cheese, raise some livestock and distil water, if you get my meaning.

So as for what I'm doing here, I guess it's partly curiousity, partly to watch ART and what he's up to on here, and to make some friends that believe in something and stand for something and can make change happen. I don't have too much to contribute - as I said, I'm a full-time student and it's hard for me to make some time for the internet anymore unless certain things are kind of spoon fed to me (like my RSS feeds, usually webcomics or news like NPR and BBC Americas and the like). I'm an artist, a writer, a poet, a little bit of a musician, a total hipster, and a lover of animals. I can offer good respectful conversation at the very least.
Mew Serpent
Mew Serpent

http://afuriouspipedream.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

I am Mew Serpent. Empty Re: I am Mew Serpent.

Post by ravenpaige Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:39 am

Welcome, Mew.

Your old job doing surveys does sound interesting (and likely really frustrating too). Being involved in the Occupys now probably gives you a completely different kind of "world view." That can be frustrating at times too, I'm sure you've found. But within the movement, there is so much going on and changing so quickly, at least it's never boring. :-)

Don't worry about how much or how little you can contribute here. Honestly, I'm not sure if we're clear ourselves the exact purpose of this site, except to be a little oasis...a place where we can quietly discuss what we're seeing in the world and exchange thoughts on where we're going.

ART has been a great contributor here, so I'm sure a friend of his will fit in well. So welcome! Please be sure to ask if you have any questions about the site or how it works, but it's pretty standard forum, but a lot less frantic than WITP.
ravenpaige
ravenpaige
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Hey Mew,

Welcome. I'm a big fan of Nyan Cat!

Don't worry about contributing or whatever. This isn't really intended to be a full-time site, but a fallback for us if we run into trouble other places on the web, and a place we can keep track of what we find out.

I think going forward, we're going to see things get more and more complex, and more and more noise trying to drown out the signal. So things might get confusing, and I'm hoping this place might be somewhere where we can keep out the noise and ask questions and discuss what's happening....essentially to distill information.

So feel free to browse, and if you have questions, ask. We'll do the best we can to answer them, or at least point you in the right direction (far more likely).
The Dude
The Dude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mew Serpent Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

I am Mew Serpent. Punish10

:3

PS. Thank you! I'm a big fan of The Dude, as well.
Mew Serpent
Mew Serpent

http://afuriouspipedream.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum