The Occupys and what kind of world we are shaping

Go down

The Occupys and what kind of world we are shaping

Post by ravenpaige on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:57 pm

I just got back from a local Occupy in my home town, and I am simply amazed at how many of these are popping up everywhere. This was after most of the day spent trying to help them coordinate/petition the Mayor's office and recommending (HA!) strategies. I laugh at this because it's not like I know anything about organizing or getting through the morass that is politics.

This was my first GA (General Assembly) and I was really happy to see how these worked, how consensus was strongly required (demanded?) and how diverse, really, even a small group could be. I think we had 20 total attending, but still had quite a wide range, although still definitely weighing heavily towards the young college students.

Well, I'm too tired to write much now, but I was wondering if anyone else had been to an Occupy, or a GA? Or just what you're thoughts are on what kind of world we may be forming?

If you have the chance to go to one, I highly recommend. It was a kind of trans-formative experience.
ravenpaige
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Occupys and what kind of world we are shaping

Post by Red_Envy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:20 pm

I've been trying to get a bearing on the Occupy movement, but the most thorough look I've had has been via Adam Kokesh.

I see some promise, but the lack of focus or even a focused goal is a little crippling. There's a lot of differing opinions on what the causes are and what solutions should be. Some call for less government, some call for more, some want the FED o create more money, some want the FED gone...

Now of course I have my own ideas, but without a plan behind them or knowing how to execute them it's not much more than theory.

There's even bits of splintering, different groups uniting under one person or idea, with different sets of rules, etc.

There's a lot of raw unrest here, but I'm discouraged by the lack of focus or direction. I know that the lack of singular leadership helps keep the movement from being crushed, but I'm worried about what this can actually accomplish.

Red_Envy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ravenpaige on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:19 am

First, I have to say, you're right. I've been somewhat involved in Occupys in two different cities here, and both of them have had their share of internal conflict. But I think, to a certain point anyway, that's just to be expected. How do you throw together a bunch of people who never met before and figure out a way for them all to get along? You get factions, you get ragequit and butthert and a Caveman or two and...sounds like WITP, doesn't it?

In management, they refer to the Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing model of group development http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckman%27s_stages_of_group_development, and according to Tuckman, who developed the model, these are stages that all groups MUST go through. The "Storming" part is not optional (except to disband) and serves a very important purpose of teaching the group about itself and its goals. While the final shape the group takes will likely not be exactly the way *anyone* wanted it, it will be the way *all* can live with and operate effectively in.

I was lucky enough to see this in action in a class I took about group development. Believe me, when you're in the "Storming" stage it feels like no-one will ever agree about anything. And people get mad. There are power grabs, dirty tricks, lies, damn lies and statistics.

Then (and this is NOT guaranteed), but then, suddenly, something clicks, and it's like everyone suddenly work up one day and said, "what are we *really* here for anyway?" Because if the group has done it's work, somewhere in all of the fighting they have begun to develop that "vision" that defines the "why," the purpose.

And from that purpose, the group can then go on to develop the "Norms," that is, the agreement (perhaps call it a Meta Agreement?) that the group supports and polices. Roles are established and reinforced, and the structure of the work to be done is agreed upon.

And then (and only then) will the group move into the "Performing" stage, where highly efficient work can be performed. When you're in "Storming," you can't imagine that it will ever happen. But I have seen it.

This is not to say the group becomes one great big hug fest, where everyone is best of friends with everyone else (that only happens in the "Forming" stage when everyone can be naive and idealistic about everyone else and all the warts and smelly socks are hidden out of sight). But in the "Performing" stage, there tends to be an overall attitude that I can best describe as "appreciation." And within it, some very good friendships are formed. And everyone has caek!

So right now I see the Occupys in the "Storming" stage. It may get ugly. And I really doubt that such a world-wide group-forming process has ever been done before, so there's not really any guarantee that the Tuckman model will hold. But for now, I find it fascinating to watch and to be a part of. I'm not too worried about the warts. We all really knew they were there anyway.
ravenpaige
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malevolance on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE>
It’s time to mobilize and aggressively move
on common sense political reforms.

<BLOCKQUOTE>
We’ve had enough of…

<BLOCKQUOTE>

• The Two-Party Oligarchy
  • Big Government
  • Big Corporate Power
  • The Concentration of Power
</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
It’s time to…

<BLOCKQUOTE>

• Decentralize
  • Create New Political Parties
  • Restore the Rule of Law
</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
The economic top one-tenth of one percent of the global population has launched an economic war on us. They are hoarding $39 Trillion in investible wealth, not counting the vast sums they have hidden in offshore accounts. In the United States, we now have the highest and most severe inequality of wealth in our nation’s history. While there is a record number of American citizens currently living paycheck to paycheck, in debt, unemployed, underemployed, without healthcare, on food stamps and in poverty, as our society is breaking down, global bankers have taken our tax dollars and given themselves all-time record-breaking bonuses. The same people who destroyed our economy have been rewarded with trillions of dollars in national wealth. It is now evident that both political parties and all three branches of government, along with the mainstream corporate media, have been bought off by a global economic elite.

As a broad-based network representing people across the political spectrum, we are working together to reach common ground and fight for pivotal political reforms. As long as the economy and government are rigged in favor of the top economic 0.1%, we will all lose.

Here’s a general outline of our common ground platform:

</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>

• Enforce RICO Laws
  • Break Up the Big Banks
  • End the Fed
  • Break Up the Mainstream Media
  • Shut the Revolving Door
  • End Closed Door Lobbying
  • Increase Government Transparency
  • End Corporate Personhood
  • Amend Campaign Finance
  • Verify All Votes
  • Investigate War Profiteers
  • Investigate War Crimes
  • End the Wars
  • Reopen the 9/11 Investigation
  • Restore Civil Liberties
  • Uphold the Constitution
  • Clean Air, Water & Food
  • Reduce Healthcare Costs, Profiteering
  • Make Healthcare a Human Right
  • Improve Education For All, Reduce Costs
  • Reform Prison System
  • Reform Drug Laws
  • Immigration Reform
  • Rebuild Infrastructure
  • Protect Internet Freedom
  • Empower States’ Rights
  • End Corporate Welfare
  • Raise Taxes on Richest 0.1%
  • Reduce Taxes for 99%
</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
These are the core common ground issues that we must urgently rally around and support. Unless we organize and take decisive action, we will all suffer the consequences of our collective inaction. Any politician who does not urgently move on these issues must be voted out of office and replaced by people who will aggressively fight on these fronts.

</BLOCKQUOTE>
Malevolance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTnonymous on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:14 am

Increase Government Transparency

this is all.

the concept of transparency-

the antidote.
ARTnonymous
Admin